Sunday, February 27, 2011

And the winner is....USC!!!

The journey I have had to get into PT school has been a long one, as described in one of my earlier blogs. And then the waiting game for finding out from schools has been very stressful but now it is worth while, as I have made my decision of where to go. In August, I will be starting at University of Southern California as a first year in their Doctor of Physical Therapy Program.

I'll start by saying that USC has been one of my dream schools; I never thought I'd ever become a Trojan. But still I applied to their PT program just to see if I could get in. I thought I'd be rejected or IF I got in, it would be after getting into another school. As luck would have it, I got in! I was selected out of the 982 applicants for the class of 95ish!! That definitely made me feel good about myself. When I first got accepted I thought that I would turn it down and wait for something cheaper but my parents and I decided to send in the deposit just to secure a spot. And the day after I found out that I had been wait-listed at Western University. Hmmm, coincidence?

After that, I started to get excited about the possibility of going there. But still had some reservations so I made an appointment to visit the school. I was impressed with the program but had lots to think about. Later that day I found out I was wait-listed at Chapman(my former #1 pick). Ironic? Yes, probably! It might have been a big hint!! The next day I had an interview at St. Augustine in San Marcos. It was a good program but not for me. Seeing a program that definitely was not for me gave me a different perspective on what I look for in a program and what I like about USC.

More thinking went on and parents gave me their opinions laying down all the reasons to pick USC. Yes, I did feel a little pressured but I pretty much knew what I was going to choose, I just needed to let myself accept it. After a hot bath, I made a chart of pro's and con's for USC and Chapman(because it's the only one that would have been able to change my mind). Money aside, the pro's of USC nearly doubled Chapman's and Chapman's con's nearly doubled USC's. It helped me visualize how much better USC's program was for me. Though, I'll admit it was hard to let go of the idea of going to Chapman because for 4 years it was the one I wanted to go to. Such a quick change of mind and heart was shocking and scary for me.

Some of the deciding factors that helped me make my decision were:
  • the newest research and technology available at USC that I wouldn't see in the field for years
  • Networking/Alumni relations
  • Much more clinical hours at USC and the 3rd year structure was appealing
  • Even with such a large class the student to faculty ratio was amazing
  • The faculty and admin. I met were very impressive and personable!
  • All the TA's have PhDs!!
  • I could take the train with a tram from Union Station to the campus.
  • It's not just a separate building but a campus(safer one than the main campus).
  • The students seemed cool, many were on campus for classes and they all looked happy to be there!
  • IT'S USC!!
I will keep you updated with what happens next on my journey to becoming a PT but I am very excited to become part of the Trojan family! I already bought my family and boyfriend USC gear and ordered a cool sweatshirt for me! :-)

2 comments:

beachbum said...

Glad to hear you picked a school! Taking the train should be great with how gas prices n traffic towards that area can be!

Katie-K said...

How exciting! You are going to love it. Does that mean that you are going to be living at home?