Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Grilled Scallop Salad




I'm not a seafood kind of girl. For example, California rolls are my "sushi" and it's usually not even really crab!! I'm trying to be but it's a slow process. Though, scallops I can tolerate. Maybe it's the meaty texture and doesn't taste like fish.

Since I'm taking a month off before school, I'm doing a lot of the cooking. So I decided to give scallops a try. I made a grilled scallop salad Sunday night and it was definitely a success! I got the recipe from Cooking Light and modified it a little. Makes 4 servings.

1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
12 large sea scallops(about 1 1/2 lbs, I used more to make sure my boyfriend got enough to eat)
1 cucumber, halved lengthwise
cooking spray
2 tbs lime juice
2 tbs olive oil
4 cups romaine lettuce(I just cut up a whole heart)
3 cups of cubed watermelon
1/4 cups fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/2 peel avocado(I used a whole one)

Preheat grill to medium high heat
Sprinkle 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/4 teaspoon over scallops and cucumber. Arrange in single layer on grill coated with cooking spray. Grill 3 minutes each side or until scallops are done and cucumber is well marked. Remove from heat and cut cucumber into slices.
Combine remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, juice, and oil into large bowl, whisk it. Then add cucumber, lettuce, watermelon, and mint. Toss to coat.
Divide watermelon mixture evenly onto 4 plates. Top servings with 3 scallops and 2 avocado slices. Sprinkle with rest of pepper.


If you follow the exact measurements it comes to 263 cals/serving.

I think I'll definitely make this salad again, even without the scallops!

**I added the avocado right into the watermelon mixture and tossed it. Then let people pick how many scallops they wanted since I made more**

Linked up: Tasty Tuesdays

1 comment:

Val Fox said...

That looks SO delicious!! I want to make it sometime! Following you now and thanks for the comment on my blog!
-Val