Thursday, July 14, 2011

Homemade Basil Pesto

Ask anyone, I love pesto! The combo of some of my favorite ingredients = yummmmm! Mom has been growing some basil and it is exploding so I decided to make pesto with it!

I used Giade de Laurentiis' pesto recipe because 1. I love her and 2. I love her food. It's because of watching one of her episodes of Everyday Italian in college (the pizza episode) I learned that cooking can be fun and it's very therapeutic too. Her cook book Everyday Italian was my first "grown-up" cookbook and I really really really want to meet her(Bobby Flay and Paula Dean too).
GIADA'S BASIL PESTO
2 cups(packed) fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1 garlic clove
1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
1/4 tsp pepper, plus more to tast
about 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a blender pulse the basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt, pepper until finely chopped. Then with the blender running slowly add enough oil to form smooth and thick consistency. Transfer pesto to bowl and stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper to task. Can save for up to 2 days. It makes about 1 cup of pesto.



I chose to put the pesto in a cupcake baking pan then I put them in the freezer to save longer(plus they are in individual portions.

4 comments:

Amanda {feast.fashion.faves} said...

this looks beyond DELICIOUS!!! so glad you tried the recipe out...I'll definitely have to make this one day. and what a brilliant idea with the cupcake pan!!!

feastfashionfaves.blogspot.com

Yelena Starikova said...

Giade is Amazing chef and so charming!!! I love Pesto, I can add it to any dish and its so healthy!!!

AllGlamThings

Sherry said...

I LOVE PESTO!

Candace said...

YUM! I'm in love with pesto. Too bad i can't convince my husband of it's deliciousness. One day. :)