Thursday, September 1, 2011

Utilize Your Utensils!

Today I wanted to write a post about something that most of us don't really think about much....

Silverware!

They are pretty necessary. There are good ones, nice ones, crappy ones, cheap ones, plain old boring ones, and plastic ones. All we normally do with them is put stuff in our mouths with them. Glamorous right?

But what else can you do with them to give them some more life?

Source: etsy.com via Becca on Pinterest

Make them into an easel or picture holder.
Source: etsy.com via Becca on Pinterest

Jewelry tree!

Cool card holders!


Chandeliers!

Mirror decorations!

Even cheap cabinet handles which is genius and economical if you already have some!


Decorations?

Just polish 'em up or paint them and get creating! So if any of you are dying for a new set of silverware but can't justify throwing your old ones out, then hear is your way around it.

Has anyone done anything like this? I'd be really interested in seeing how it turned out!

13 comments:

Jessie said...

How fabulous! I love ALL these ideas! Thanks for sharing!!! Would look totally amazing in my kitchen!!!

Coley @ What You Make It said...

What great ideas!

Lauren said...

Very cool! I love the idea of repurposing all sorts of things :)

Hilliary Meisner said...

What a clever idea!!

Ruthie Hart said...

super cute! I Love that idea! I wonder how you'd bend the silverware? Ours does NOT bend at all! but maybe real silver?

Simply Camylla said...

these are great ideas! Never thought I could do so much with utensils!!

Unknown said...

My cousin's mother in law gave her a framed fork for Christmas a couple years ago. It was similar to the business card holder as a note board. It was glued to a cork backing so you could pin other things to it, and put a photo in the prongs of the fork for decorative purposes. The funny part of this story is that my Aunt didn't realize it was a gift and thought the fork was stuck (think dried maple syrup!) to a picture and pulled the fork off and put it in the dishwasher.
We joke about this every Christmas now. The idea was great - but make sure the people cleaning up the wrapping paper/breakfast mess know it is a gift!

Anonymous said...

So crafty! My favorite is probably the picture holder - clever!!

henning love said...

you always find the cutest and most common things that can be turned into wonderful accessories or decorations! love this!

REBrown said...

So awesome! I love the mirror and the door handles.

Meggan said...

what cute ideas!! i love that chandelier!

natasha {schue love} said...

Oh fun!!! Love the chandelier and the handles on the cabinets! So unique!

amy grace said...

Those are all super cool ideas! Love the picture frame and handles for cabinets. Extreme Home Makeover was in our town two years ago and we made chandeliers like that, but they were using silver colored plastic utensils and some plexyglass. They were awesome! I think I have a picture of them on my facebook somewhere... here's the link w/ my friend bethany showcasing it! >> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=535486254587&set=a.519010911307.2036071.49601872&type=1&theater