Monday, August 29, 2011

my first DIY

Is it really Monday again?! Where the heck did the weekend go?! I had a pretty mellow weekend that was spent catching up on sleep and reviewing some of my notes from the past week.

With pinterest and reading others' blogs I've been really inspired to make something crafty myself but just didn't know what to do. Everything looked so fun and cute but I really had no use for most of the stuff I saw until....I saw a DIY chevron tray. And who doesn't need another tray to put stuff in?!

So this is for all of you Lucite and Chevron fiends out there.
I got a large stacking tray from The Container Store, spray paint, and painter's tape.
First put the tape down in the design you'd like.
Then once the design is how you want it, spray paint in on a safe surface. I did two coats.
Once it's dry carefully peel off the painter's tape! TA-DA!!!

I ended up taking a razorblade and touching it up a bit. I learned to spray from straight above and not any angles which cause the not so clean/neat spots.

Overall I'm pretty happy about how it turned out and the next one will be better. I think these kinds of things would make great, cheap gifts for friends.

Have you done any cool DIY projects lately? I'd love some more inspiration!

12 comments:

Hilliary Meisner said...

This is so cute!! I made a one shoulder ruffle shirt for the jimmy buffett concert! I found it on pineterest, there are so many things that I want to make!

Ruthie Hart said...

I LOVE IT! Chevrons are so in right now! you did great

Coley said...

great job on your first DIY project! Where did you get that fabulous tray!?

Ashley said...

This turned out really cute! I'm so addicted to looking at the fun creative ideas on pinterest right now. I found an app for it last night actually haha. Did you know there was one? I just finished a DIY project of my own. You can see it here http://atouchofashley.blogspot.com/

Design Eat Repeat said...

That's cute! What a great idea!

Alexa said...

Ah so cute. What a great idea!
xo
Alexa
www.theshortandthesweetofit.com

henning love said...

super cute DIY becca!! love the chevron, where are you gonna put the tray?

REBrown said...

Very cute! Etsy and Pinterest always make me want to do cute craft projects.

Claudia Fabiana said...

Wow, this project turned out great! I would love that for summer entertaining out by the pool.

Stop by and say hi, and check my RHWoBH update...

ciao

Meggan said...

love this DIY! i have been dying to make a chevron tray! yours looks great :)

Jenna Lee said...

Very well done I love the color... great job!

P! said...

ADORABLE! Looks so fun!! Hoping you do more DIY posts in the future... those are always so great to see. Nice work, lady!